Light Studies Workshop Kyiv 2018
The Kyiv Lights Festival asked Jonas Vorwerk to give a masterclass about the art of light installations.
Jonas Vorwerk http://jonasvorwerk.nl is interested in working with aspects that are present both in the digital and the physical domains such as multiplicity and modularity. His works frequently explore the ideas of repetition, interaction, chance and change. To look into the new dimensions that the digital world can create in the physical space he primarily works with technology, light, music and space. He uses these elements not only as tools but also likes to draw from the broader cultural context that connects them to the popular culture and entertainment, which originates in his own involvement with the electronic music scene and background in engineering.
For this masterclass Jonas prepared a “Light Studies” hands on workshop.
The masterclass is designed for:
- Art installation enthusiast
- Visual & conceptual artists
- No technical background required, we will start with the basics
What are we going to do?
We are going to create light works. These could be art, could be design, answer to a problem or personal interests.
- A hands-on workshop
- What makes light so great and interesting?
- What are the possibilities?
- Introduction to Arduino open source hardware
- What is a sensor and how to use them
- Blinking your first leds with open source technologies
- Some basic programming
- Create ideas and perform a full design cycle, from idea to prototype
- Showing / exhibiting your prototype
- Give and receive feedback form the other participants
Why is this useful for you?
- After this workshop you can use leds and light in your future projects
- You will have a broader scope of the possibilities
- Contribute to the KLF community
- Introduction (presentation about Jonas Vorwerk)
- Light / interaction examples / teasing
- Assignment explanation
- Forming small 2 or 3 persons groups
- Brainstorm (within a theme or problem)
- Technical workshop / Arduino / Sensors / Programming light
- Creation fase
Please bring an Arduino in any form. If you are new to this, you might want to consider buying an Arduino Uno https://store.arduino.cc/genuino-uno-rev3
If you are in the position to bring those tools, they might be handy:
- paper and marker / pencil
- usb cable
- soldering iron / tin
- wire cutters
- wire stripper
Any other tools, materials to create a light art installation prototype are welcome, bring whatever you think is needed!